Serving the homeless students in the River Rouge School District is a coordinated effort of the District and the Wayne RESA Homeless Education Program. The objective is to ensure that all students are provided with seamless educational services regardless of their current housing situation.
Students eligible for support are those who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence and may include:
- Those living on the streets, in a car in an abandoned building, etc.
- Those living in shelters and transitional housing programs, those living in campgrounds, motels and hotels.
- Those who are doubled up with family or friends due to loss of housing
- Those recently placed in a foster home.
- Those who have run away or otherwise are not accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Students in the above living situations may attend school where they attended prior to losing their housing, with transportation provided, or they may immediately enroll in the district where they are temporarily staying (even if they lack enrollment documents such as birth certificates, immunizations, and proof of residency).
The River Rouge School District has staff assigned to work with homeless youth and to coordinate services with the Wayne RESA Homeless Education Program. They are as follows:
Ms. Latasha Johnson, District Homeless Liaison 313-203-4007