The River Rouge School District values professional development as fundamental to the success of the district. Professional development increases educators’ knowledge and enhances their professional skills, deepens educators’ understanding and appreciation for the varied needs of students and enhances educators’ capacity to facilitate the learning success of all students. Professional Development is designed to provide the structure and means through which educators continuously enhance their professional competency and simultaneously satisfy the Michigan recertification requirements. To that end, River Rouge School District is committed to increasing the individual and collective growth of all district educators.
Professional Development Resources
Each item listed below is a clickable link.
Michigan Online Educator Certification System
State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs)
On May 18, 2012, the Michigan Department of Education revised the Administrative Rules which changed SB-CEUs to State Continuing Education Clock Hours. SCECHs are State approved in-service, workshop, training, or conference credits that are used for the renewal of selected certificates issued by MDE.
Individuals who hold the following certificates are eligible to use SCECHs for renewal:
- Professional Education Certificate
- Occupational Certificate
- School Psychologist Certificate
- School Counselor License
- School Administrator
- Standard Teaching Certificate (previously Provisional Certificate)
Social Workers in Michigan cannot use SCECHs for license renewal.
Why May I Need SCECHs?
The Michigan Department of Education offers several different opportunities for educators to renew their certificates. SCECHs are continued education/professional learning opportunities that can go towards your five-year educator certificate renewal window.
- 1 SCECH Hour = 1 Professional Learning Hour
- 1 SCECH Hour = 1 DPPD Hour
- 25 SCECHs = 1 College Credit Hour
A total of 150 hours of education-related professional learning (SCECHs/DPPD) or 6 semester hours of approved College Credit Equivalent (or combination of each) is required for renewal.
District Provided Professional Development (DPPD)
DPPD is the professional development offered by a Local Education Agency (LEA) to fulfill the requirements of Michigan Compiled Law (MCL) Section 380.1527. This legislation requires LEAs to offer five days of education-related teacher professional development annually. LEA staff are encouraged to design professional development experiences which serve the purpose of increasing student learning; align with your school improvement plan; are planned, ongoing, and intensive; and are supported in some way by the school or district, such as through released time or cost.
NEW FAQ DPPD Reporting Process for Educators – EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2020
NEW DPPD Reporting Requirements for Districts – EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2020
Do I Need SCECHs?
State Continuing Education Clock Hours (SCECHs) are used for the following:
- Advancement from a Provisional Teaching Certificate to a Professional Teaching Certificate
- Renewal of a Professional Teaching Certificate
- Renewal of an Advanced Professional Teaching Certificate
- Renewal of an Occupational Teaching Certificate
- Renewal of a School Administrator Certificate
- Renewal of a School Guidance Counselor Certificate
- Renewal of a School Psychologist Certificate
How Can I Earn SCECHs?
SCECHs are available for most MOISD workshops and conferences. In addition, you can earn SCECHs for the following professional activities:
- Participation in a pre-approved school committee
- Supervision of a student teacher
- Supervision of a pre-teaching/pre-service student observation/fieldwork
- Supervision of a school psychologist
- Mentoring a new teacher
- Mentoring a new school counselor
- Mentoring a new school psychologist
- Mentoring a new principal/administrator
Educator Certification Information
SCECHs and DPPD Information
Standard Teacher Certificate Renewal
School Counselor Professional Development Standards
Non-Traditional Programs Transition to DPPD/SCECHs
Michigan Online Educator Certification System (MOECS)
Locating Your Personal Identification Code (PIC)
MDE Educator Certification Information