Frequently Asked Questions

Is there any charge for my child to attend River Rouge Public Schools?

No. River Rouge School District is a public entity, which means that, it is free of charge to attend. There is no tuition or any other fee to attend the school.

My child lives outside of River Rouge School District. Can he or she still attend River Rouge Public Schools?

Yes. We have two open enrollment periods each year. During this time any student can enroll to attend school in River Rouge School District.

How can I enroll my child/ren into Ann Visger Preparatory Academy?

Student enrollment takes place in the Enrollment Office at River Rouge High School. To enroll your child in school, you will need to locate a school, provide residency documentation, birth certificates, and get your child all state required immunizations or provide a valid exemption from the immunization requirements.

Is there a uniform or dress code policy in River Rouge School District?

All students in Grades K-5 are expected to wear uniforms daily (Please see River Rouge School District’s Uniform Policy).

Will you transport my child to River Rouge School District?

Yes. Unlike most neighboring districts, River Rouge School District has a comprehensive transportation plan which is free and available to every student.

I need to change the bus pick up or drop off location. Whom do I call?

Please contact Jhoanna Guerra, Director of Transportation at (313)-203-1497

My child has medication needs during the day. What do I need to do?

Please submit documentation of the student’s medical needs to the school nurse and any accompanying directions for treatment. All medications that need to be administered at school must remain in the care of the designated personnel (i.e. school nurse or secretary) and should be administered under their supervision.

What do I do if I have to pick my child/ren up early from school?

To ensure that a child is taken from school only by an authorized person, please list individuals to whom your child may be released on the Emergency Contact Card. When the parent/guardian arrives to pick up their child they will sign the child out and the office staff will call the student down to the office. No one is to leave the school grounds without permission.

What if my child is absent from school?

Please call the school office at 313-297-9648 to report an absence or submit a note/documentation to the office upon your child’s return. Please state the reason for your child’s absence. If you do not report your student's absence to the office, we will consider the absence unexcused. You must call the school office even if you have spoken to your student's teacher.

What special programs do you offer?

Ann Visger incorporates into its academic programming Service Learning and Art Integration.

  • The Service Learning program engages students in authentic learning experiences by integrating meaningful community service with instruction and reflection activities; providing students with a deeper sense of civic responsibility which leads to stronger communities.
  • Art Integration – In partnership with Eastern Michigan University, Ann Visger offers a comprehensive curriculum that integrates art into core subjects and engages students in project-based learning experiences. Art integration taps into students’ creativity and promotes higher-level thinking skills.

How do you help meet the academic and/or social-emotional needs of my child?

  • Individualized Learning Plan (ILP) - At Ann Visger, we meet students where they are. Teachers develop an ILP for all students, which outlines a customized plan of action to maximize your child’s learning experience. The ILP identifies strengths and areas of focus; serving as a guide for strategies and interventions to best meet the learning needs of each child.
  • Positive Behavior Interventions & Supports (PBIS) – At Ann Visger, we’ve taken a proactive approach to promoting positive behavior through the use of the PBIS program. PBIS places emphasis on prevention of problem behavior, development of prosocial skills, and the use of data-based problem solving for addressing existing behavior concerns.
  • Support Services – Ann Visger offers an array of support services to meet the needs of the whole child. The highlights of these supports include: School Social Work Services; Mentors; Wraparound Services; and a new partnership with the Guidance Center.

What are your arrival & dismissal procedures for parents?

Arrival – Students participating in the breakfast program may enter the building at 7:50 a.m. Parents may enter the building at the Abbott Street entrance to drop your child/ren off in the cafeteria for breakfast. If your child is not participating in the breakfast program, the school day begins at 8:30 a.m. Students will be released to report to class at 8:30 a.m..

Special Note: To assist us with maximizing school safety, by minimizing high volumes of traffic in the building, we’re asking that parents drop their child/ren off in the school lobby for those students not participating in the breakfast program. School Staff and Safety Patrol members are in place to monitor the safe transition of students during arrival.

Dismissal – Parents may pick their child/ren up beginning at 3:35 p.m. from the gymnasium. Parents are asked to enter the gymnasium from the door located nearest to the corner of W. Jefferson and Abbott Street. For safety purposes, the main entrance door will remain locked during dismissal. All student pick-ups must take place in the gym.

What are the procedures for conferencing with a teacher outside of the scheduled parent-teacher conferences?

For your convenience, you may request to conference with your child’s teacher by phone or in person. You may contact your child’s teacher directly via e-mail or call 313-297-9648 to schedule an appointment with your child’s teacher. All conferences, outside of the scheduled parent-teacher conferences, are by appointment only.

Are cell phones allowed in school?

Cell phones are not allowed to be used during school hours. We do understand that cell phones are used for emergency contact purposes, as your child travels to and from school. However, they must be turned off prior to entering the building. If a cell phone is seen during the school day it will be confiscated and must be retrieved by a parent.

How do I obtain clearance to volunteer at the school or chaperone during a field trip?

For safety purposes, all individuals volunteering at the school or chaperoning on field trips must be cleared by the iChat background check system. iChat verification is free. Please see the school secretary to request an iChat form.